Sunday, January 4, 2015

Breakfast Time!!!

Happy Sunday Y'all!!! SO this morning I got up thinking that I needed to get a jump start on this 21 day challenge that we are starting tomorrow within my Plexus team... after checking my email and having some one on one time with God (while everyone else was still asleep) I decided to try something on my family... here is what I came up with!

Healthy Breakfast Burritos

1/2 lb lean pork sausage, cooked and crumbled
10 eggs (cracked in a bowl ready to pour)
2 cups fresh spinach
1/4 cup chopped onion
Tbsp diced jalepenos (from a jar is fine)
Salt and pepper
Whole wheat tortillas
Shredded cheese

This makes 8-10 breakfast burritos

Here is the deal:

Chef makes his OWN sausage, so ours is SUPER LEAN... I always add a little coconut oil to it to help it cook and crumble... and it actually gives it an awesome flavor... so I just cook the sausage down, add the onion and spinach until it is all wilted and the onions are translucent, add the jalepenos, then I just dump the eggs in along with salt and pepper and start stirring  until it is a big old scramble.... Chef says I should take a fork to the eggs BEFORE I throw them in, but I am a rebel and I just do my scrambling while I stir... seems like a waste of time to me...

Then when it's all incorporated and the eggs are cooked, I warm the tortillas up in the microwave, spoon the filling in and sprinkle with cheese. Roll up and serve with some salsa, baby!!!

I also had a bag of frozen tator tots that I put in the oven and cooked to go along with this... and while I know that tator tots and sausage are not the healthiest, I know that OUR sausage is because it is homemade, but you could use turkey sausage too! And I really needed to get those tator tots out of here before tomorrow. (Plus I baked them until crispy and didn't use any oil)

So, here is the verdict...
 Chef was super excited and started eating the scramble before I even had it in the tortillas... he loved it.

I made this up as I went, but I REALLY loved it when I tasted it.  And I love spinach.

Brendan shoveled his in his mouth faster than I have ever seen...

Keira was a little wary, but she did eat the whole thing and agreed that it was really good.

They all voted that we should make this again! And we had this as Brunch, so we will have snacks this afternoon and then have dinner later.

While no one is especially a fan of whole wheat tortillas around here, they were surprisingly good warmed up with this filling in them... and dipped in salsa... and then of course, pop a tator tot in your mouth along the way... it was YUMMY! I may also try my hand at making whole wheat HOMEMADE tortillas...

Here are some variations on this:

*Just eat the scramble with a piece of whole grain toast.

*Add cheese to the uncooked mixture, stir, and then put in little muffin tins and bake... perfect breakfast muffin!

*Omit the sausage altogether if you are not a fan.

*Experiment with peppers, kale, tomatoes, mushrooms.

***Here is a little trick when cooking turkey sausage or any LEAN meat... use a little coconut oil to get it going... then you still have juicy sausage, with a healthy oil... and it is not all dry and well, you know, gross. 

I hope you guys try this and find is as yummy and filling as we did!


No comments:

Post a Comment